With jobs becoming more and harder to come by, enterprising youths have been forced to turn to new ways to earn a living.
One of the most popular means of late in the whole country and especially in Nakuru is the online sports betting platform Sportpesa.

More and more young men and women are getting into the exciting betting system which has seen some of them make some good returns out of the system.

“I started betting on Sportpesa when my friend and former school mate bet just a hundred bob and won thirty thousand,” says Alfred Kitur from Kapkures area in Nakuru West. He admits he’s yet to net “a big one” but has won a few token prizes over time.

John Kabugi a university graduate from Rhoda and says he’s making a career out of it.

“I’ve been job hunting for so long now that once I discovered Sportpesa, it was a kind of a life line for me. I’ve had several winnings with the highest amount being 12k and am always optimistic of a big win,” says Kabugi who adds that he approaches all his bets with an analytical mind.

“I and my friends have formed a WhatsApp group where we analyze the upcoming games and share tips. We have had some lucky breaks for some of us but also some huge losses,” admits the soft spoken graduate.

The betting is not only a reserve for men. A few women have also started betting but none could openly admit.

“I do it once in a while,” admits an M-Pesa attendant in Pondamali area who asked to be identified only as Judy. She adds that she has never won but the thrill of betting and the stories of others winning keeps her going. Like the rest, she believes she’ll win big one day.


“Who knows, maybe one day I just might win the jackpot,” says Judy with a smile.